Sunday 26 June 2016

#RuthforPM

I wrote this on Friday, less than 12 hours after the results of the referendum. I sincerely hope there will be a general election called soon. If not, I continue to believe this represents the best possible outcome. As she is currently an MSP, not an MP, she would need to stand in a by-election first. I don't believe that's an obstacle.


______________

Dear Ms Davidson,

Like you, I voted for the UK to remain a part of the EU. I assumed the facts, the research, the evidence, the studies, and the expert opinions would be enough to persuade others to do the same. I did everything I could to convince people. I thought it would be enough. I am deeply saddened by the outcome announced this morning.

We are at a crossroads. Collectively, our next steps will determine the health of our culture and our economy for decades to come.

David Cameron has resigned, effective October 2016. Where does this leave us?

The next general election is due to take place in May 2020. I believe it is unlikely one will be called much earlier.

Our country needs the right leader. We need someone with energy, passion, strength, conviction, persuasiveness, compassion, courage, resilience, and common sense. Our country needs someone who can unite people with competing interests. We need someone who can persuade Scotland that we are better together — because it is true. Separation would devastate the economies of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales. If Scotland leaves, it would be decades before we could recover — if we ever did.

In short, we need YOU. You alone have the vision and the progressive attitude to move this country forward together. You alone can speak compellingly across party lines, socio-economic divides, and intra-national borders.

To paraphrase the immortal words of Princess Leia, 'Help us, Ruth Davidson; you're our only hope.'
Our next prime minister will be elected, not by the people, but by the party members. Until now I have not aligned myself with any particular political party. That ended today. I have registered as a Conservative party member so that I will have a voice in that decision.

I would very much like to vote for you. Please, I implore you, throw your hat into the ring.

Yours sincerely,
Shannon
London Borough of Lewisham, UK

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Subscribe

Recent Posts

Posts

About Me

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *